Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Moment of Silence

As you've probably heard many times over (it's been pretty much everywhere except perhaps written in the sky, and the week isn't even over), Miss Snark has decided to hang up her sarcasm and helpful advice. I really have nothing to add to what's already been said except I, too, will miss her sorely. I was still new to the whole blogging thing when I first stumbled across her website. Anyone who writes knows how lonely this can be if you don't have friends or family with the same interest. Their eyes usually roll back in their heads as soon as we mention anything about writing. Finding her blog meant finally feeling a sense of kinship with other people out there who had the same passion as I did and that's all they talked about! It was wonderful and frankly a bit scary. I knew I wasn't the only aspiring author in the world but somehow only in an abstract kind of way. At Miss Snarks' I found hundreds of other writers, all with the same goal as I had: to be published. I lurked and listened and watched quietly as they discussed the craft of writing, bandying about words I had never heard before. GMC, ARC, TSTL. Was this some kind of secret language only truly great authors could understand? I continued to listen and gradually (I'm talking glacier gradual) became less intimidated as I read and learned. I'm nowhere near being the writer I should be, mostly because of my own insecurities and lack of discipline. But I'm also not as alone as I used to be and for that (as well as her wonderful advice), I'll always be grateful to Miss Snark.

No comments: