Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Worldbuilding Schmorldbuilding

As I mentioned before, I've decided to start a new book. I'm excited and just a little scared about this because I'll be entering uncharted territory, at least for me. My new book is going to be partly set in a fantasy world and of course that means I have to build this place from the ground up. I'm afraid I'm not one of those people wonderfully gifted with the automatic knowledge of what such a place should look like. So I've done a little research about the basics of worldbuilding and man does it seem intimidating. I found a page with a list of questions to ask yourself when you start this wonderful fantasy land. Frankly, I'm thinking about going straight back to bed, curling up in the fetal position and sucking my thumb for awhile. Or, maybe I'll just list a few of the questions that I found:

  1. Are the laws of nature and physics actually different in this world, or are they the same as in real life? Physics? Are you kidding. I barely made it through Geometry in high school.
  2. In which geographical areas will the story take place? I was thinking Peoria sounded nice....if only I could figure out exactly where that is.
  3. How much land is in each of the equatorial, temperate, and polar zones? I didn't understand a word of this question.
  4. Is magic legal here? Pretty much. Except that pulling a nickle out of your ear trick. No one likes that.
  5. Is there a "trade language" that facilitates commerce between countries that don't speak the same tongue? I thought maybe Pig Latin might work but I always forget which letters to rearrange.
  6. Are there actual gods/godlike beings? I figure since I'm writing this story that'd be me. Oh, the power. Bwaahaaahaaa.
  7. What is the basic style of government: feudal, aristocratic, oligarchy, absolute ruler, democracy, what? Hah! I'm still trying to figure out what makes up Congress.

My stomach literally hurt after reading these questions, and believe me there were many, many more I haven't listed. Who knew there was so much to worldbuilding? Oh, you did? Show off. Okay, I can do this. It might take a little longer than I thought, but I can't keep letting intimidation hold me back. And if you think about it, anytime you write a story there's always worldbuilding of some kind. This will just be a lot more involved. I wonder if I can call my new land Not Quite In The Middle Earth. I'm sure Tolkien won't mind.

1 comment:

Stephen Parrish said...

Funny stuff. Thanks for the early morning smile.