Friday, June 8, 2007

Which Came First, The Idea or the Egg?

I've always been interested in other writers' processes and the journey by which they go from idea to finished manuscript. Of course, I realize what works for them won't necessarily work for me, but a little experimentation could be an excellent book starter, especially if you're of the procrastinatory (is that a word?) persuasion. Typically, I start with a scene that's popped into my head for no apparent reason, possibly the result of a chance phrase I've heard or a clip from a movie or maybe even dementia....whatever. I then build around this paragraph or so I've scribbled down, gradually getting to know my characters and where the story is going pretty much as I go. And what, you might inquire, has this process netted me thus far? I'm so glad you asked. I have three partially finished books cowering beneath my bed and one finished, though highly unpolished, manuscript locked in a closet refusing to come out until I give it something pretty to wear. Drama Queen. Obviously, this isn't working for me at all. I firmly believe there is no set in stone "right way" to write a novel. However, there are many "wrong ways" to do so, or at least wrong way for me. The above scenario is a perfect example. In someone else's hands this could work perfectly. Alas, I'm not someone else. I'm just little 'ole me and I need to figure out a way to work with that. Presently, I'm involved in some serious prewriting for my new book. Usually, this merely involves a list of each character's physical description, their families, a half-hearted stab at their past histories, etc. I know, I know. Lazy writing won't get you anywhere. As I mentioned in my last post, I've started with the worldbuilding before even trying to flesh out my characters and what makes them tick. To my surprise, the worldbuilding has actually helped my characters to start taking a more defined shape. Motivations and conflicts are springing up almost on their own from this world I'm creating. ::slight pause while a loud round of "Doh!"s are heard round the blogosphere:: Okay, okay. I deserved that. Better later than never, right?

4 comments:

Heather said...

You're way ahead of me in terms of having completed manuscripts (I've started lots, finished none).

BUT! I'll share my process anyway.

I got the idea for my current WIP (which, believe it or not, I will finish) from a newspaper article about a website that allows people to sell their used engagement rings. My husband and I were on a long road trip, and I just yapped for hours about it. Who would use a site like that? And what if some poor brokenhearted girl sold her ring, and the guy who bought it contacted her and said it's cursed? Together we talked and talked until I had a basic plot.

Then, I took the basic plot and fleshed it out by applying the Hero's Journey. (I got the gist from Wikipedia.)

I felt really confident writing because I had an idea of how my story was constructed. When I actually started typing, a whole bunch of things changed (motivations, characters, subplots), but my basic roadmap never really did.

I need a framework in order to be productive -- kind of like, I can design an outfit, but it won't look right unless I have a model to hang it on. So the Hero's Journey is my model, and my story is the outfit.

I really like your blog, by the way!

Another Aspiring Author said...

Thanks for commenting!
I tried looking up Hero's Journey on Wikipedia but don't think I was looking at the right thing. What is it or is it too long to explain?

I read somewhere that an author should pay attention to anything and everything they can about what's going on in the world around them: newspapers, news programs, magazines, tv shows, etc. You never what might spark your next idea. Unfortunately, I've been pretty lax in this area.

How far along are you in your writing? Sounds like an interesting plot.

Heather said...

Go here — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth — and scroll down to Modern Applications of the Monomyth. The entry also explains how Star Wars follows the Hero's Journey, to help explain how to apply it to a story.

I also found this helpful: http://fionaharper.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html

She has a more romantic angle, and reading her thoughts was what inspired me to give it a go myself.

As for my current WIP, I recently realized my herione has no motivation. Yeah, I know. I nearly threw myself out my attic window when it hit me. But I pulled it together, found her motivation, and now I'm off to the races. It also made me realize I have to start the story earlier, so I have to rewrite my beginning.

This novelist stuff is seriously one of the most challenging things I have ever attempted. The self-discipline it takes to finish a freaking book ASTOUNDS me at this point.

Another Aspiring Author said...

I checked out the links you posted. The Hero's Journey was especially interesting in the way they broke down and explained each stage. Of course, I have a soft spot for anything that references Star Wars.

On the bright side, at least you realized your heroine lacked motivation before you finished the manuscript. Doesn't make rewriting any less painful though. It wasn't until my first manuscript was completely finished that I realized not only did I have no real conflict, but my hero had no flaws. And I can't bring myself to rewrite a single word of it now.