Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The No Review Book Review

I picked up three new books this past weekend from my most favoritest place ever (hah! take that grammar police), Borders. I have dreams of *ahem* accidentally being locked in there one night (and yes by accidentally, I mean hiding in one of the bathroom stalls until everyone leaves). I bought two mystery books by J.A. Konrath (how can you not love a cop named Jack Daniels?) and another paranormal romance that again I won't name because surprise, surprise it just didn't do it for me. Not to repeat myself (not that I ever would, not that I ever would), the writing was good and the story fast paced, but I had trouble rooting for the heroine. She was funny. She could kick ass. And I just didn't care. Of course, I realize this is an entirely subjective thing. A heroine I might identify with could bore the hell out of someone else and vice versa. But for me, I need to have either sympathy on some level for her or at the very least empathy. I had neither. And this naturally got me thinking about the heroine of my own book (pay no attention to the progress meter on the right.....hey, I told you not to look). What if no one else likes her but me? Of course, I have to like her, otherwise I wouldn't get past writing the first page. But nothing will keep the reader from slamming the book shut if she just doesn't do it for them. I know. I know. I can't really control this. I can only write a character I find enjoyable, interesting, and a whole slew of other adjectives I don't have room for. The key I guess is translating that character I know and love in my head to shining vitality onto the page. Okay, I'll admit it. I just wanted to say "shining vitality". So sue me. You get the point.

1 comment:

Tessa Dare said...

I'm going through this same thing. I love my heroine, Lucy, in GOTH. And a lot of people who've read the book love her immediately and identify with her. Then some just don't. So now I'm revising with the goal of creating more empathy for her, so readers who don't quite "get" Lucy instinctively will have a bit more to go from.

None of that is nearly so beautiful as "shining vitality!" (See, I wanted to say it, too.)