Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Pow! Right in the Kisser

So there I was minding my own business strolling nonchalantly to the mailbox when Pow! It hit me. Mixed oh so innocently between my Visa bill and one of those damn troll catalogs, that horror of horrors, a rejection letter. How did I know it was a rejection letter, you might ask? I hadn't opened it yet, after all, and my x-ray vision has been on the blink lately. Hah! Who needs super powers in a case like this. The letter fairly reeked of rejection......"Go ahead and open me so I may mock you some more." Naturally I obeyed. As any aspiring authors knows, one must bow at the Altar of Rejection many times before ::cue heavenly orchestra music:: one bright, sunny day when the planets have aligned just so in the universe and peace and harmony reign, a perfect white dove will fly down from clouds to........well, he'll probably poop on your head, because hey, it's a dove. But in the meantime, you may actually get the e-mail that says you don't completely suck and yes, I would absolutely adore to read more of your absolutely fabulous novel. Please pony express it over here as soon as possible. Okay, so this probably won't be happening to me anytime soon. I am still a newbie writer and this was only my third rejection letter out of three queries I had sent. ::author ducks and clings to the floor while heavy books are flung at her head:: I know, I know. Three queries are nothing, minuscule even. When I've sent out 30 queries and been rejected each time then maybe I've earned the right to cry a little about it. But only for a little while. In the meantime, I keep writing and writing and writing and writing. Why is it so hard to take our own advice?

No comments: