Thursday, April 26, 2007

So How Much Does A Good Plot Go For These Days?

I've spent the past several days thinking about my book and the fact it doesn't have any real conflict. I'll be the first to admit plotting is not one of my strong points. I hear other writers talk about having so many ideas for books they couldn't possibly write them all and want to hide in the nearest dark hole. Where do they get these ideas? Is there a secret black market out there somewhere where they're bought and sold? And if there is, why don't I know about it? I mean, really I don't both kidneys. Okay, probably not. So what's a writer to do if that part of the process doesn't come particularly easy for her? I know I can make the writing itself stronger by learning to take out passive verbs, showing not telling, etc but can I learn to plot if that's not a particular talent of mine? I'm not sure. Obviously I have to do something because let's face it, a book with a smooth ride from start to finish is just plain boring. So I'm working on it, and by that I mean running the story over and over in my head and thinking what can make it harder for our heroine to achieve her goal but still keep with her character? And then I got it! Granted, it's one small part of the plot but I'm getting those butterflies I usually feel when I'm excited about writing again. It's been a while since I've felt them.....too damn long. Maybe I'll never write intricate plots like Nora Roberts. I don't have to. I just have to write well and most importantly write what excites me as an author. I don't expect to get it overnight but I do expect to get it eventually.

No comments: