Wednesday, April 4, 2007

ABCs of Writing

So, I was doing my usual morning ritual of blog surfing and came across a great post by Elizabeth Hoyt over at Romantic Inks about the ABCs of writing. Very simple concept really....just Apply Butt to Chair. Not the first time I've heard this and certainly won't be the last (I think Nora Roberts has this tattooed somewhere on her body). So, if it's so easy why aren't I practicing it? And why isn't my book finished yet? Why aren't my 12 books finished yet? Oh, most of the time I do actually manage to get my sorry behind into the chair, but the writing part? Not so much. I even open Word, scan through the last page or so of what I've written, and then proceed to stare off into space contemplating the great mysteries of the universe (or at the very least that mystery defier himself, Sanjaya and how the hell he's still on American Idol). Not very productive and yet I continue to follow the same routine every day. I console myself with the fact that if I can manage even one word each time I do this, my book should be done in time for my retirement in 40 or so years. Here's hoping.

No comments: